, , , , , ,

Which Social Media Outlets Fit Your Target Audience in 2020?

There are many social media platforms out there and each platform has a unique audience. So, which one should your company use to reach potential buyers? 

First, you need to establish and understand your buyer personas. Once you’ve identified who your audience is, you’ll be able to see where they’re spending their time, allowing you to get the most out of your social media efforts. 

Below, we break down the top social media platforms and provide a data-backed analysis of the audience for each one.


Facebook is the first outlet that comes to mind when most people say they’re “on social media;” it’s what Google is to search engines. But is it a good tool to reach your target audience?

  • Facebook currently has the highest number of active users than any other social platform, with 2.45 billion users per month
  • 49% of Americans use Facebook between the ages of 18-49 
  • 44% of Facebook users are female while 56% of users are male


Facebook is the best social networking platform to reach a wide demographic audience. Utilizing this data, one can infer that middle-aged men are on Facebook and a company that sells beard grooming kits would benefit from advertising here. And it doesn’t stop there, with such a broad audience other companies could benefit from Facebook too.


Instagram launched in 2010 and has since taken social media by storm. With over 1 billion active users, there is a large pool of potential customers. 

  • 70% of users on Instagram are under the age of 35
  • Instagram users are educated- 43% have a college degree and 37% have some college education
  • According to Statista, 56.4% of Instagram users are female and 43.6% of users are male

Why are these statistics important? They tell you that Instagram is an ideal platform for products or services that target a younger, educated, female audience. This would be the best social media outlet for an athletic brand, not an assisted living home. 


With over 2 billion app downloads, other social platforms better watch out. Tik-Tok is an app where you make and share short videos. The demographics of Tik-Tok are fairly similar to Instagram.

  • Over 50% of users are under the age of 35 
  • The majority of Tik-Tok users are male with 56%, with the remaining 44% being female 
  • Tik-Tok generated the most downloads for any app ever, in Q1 2020, with 315 million downloads

Tik Tok provides a great opportunity for brands to create short videos with snippets of their products or showcasing their services.  Tik-Tok is ideal for a fresh, fun brand that is looking to reach a young audience.


LinkedIn is the social networking platform for business professionals looking to expand their network. LinkedIn reaches an older, more mature audience.

  •  37% of users are ages ranging from 30-49
  • Half of all LinkedIn users are college-educated 
  • 94% of B2B marketers use LinkedIn to display content

LinkedIn is also different because it’s a place to not only promote your business, but establish expertise. Use LinkedIn as an outlet to drive traffic to your website with news and helpful articles.

“Shouldn’t I be on every social media outlet?” While it varies from company to company, for most the answer is no. You will waste time, and ultimately money, trying to curate content for every social platform. Get targeted with your efforts and focus on the outlets that will yield the most success for you.


Are you looking for a digital advertising agency that understands these statistics? More importantly, a marketing agency who knows how to reach your target audience and earn market share? Reach out to the tribe, you’ll be glad you did!

Feeling inspired yet? Keep an eye out on our portfolio to see how we’re implementing these trends into our work here at Tribu!

Read About

Let’s Be Friends?

Tribe up your inbox and keep up with Tribu

More to Consider

Liquid Death Ad's Slogan "Murder Your Thirst"
Liquid Death is Murdering Thirst, One Campaign at a Time
Podcasts for Content Marketing
5 Content Marketing Strategies for 2023
Meta Applications on a Phone Screen
Meta Ad Platform and Why it Might be Right for Your Company and Brand.

Meet the People

We work because we are passionate, and we thrive because of our collective experience. We’re fresh, hungry, humble and smart.


Tribu lives at the intersection of award-winning design and branding + measurable digital marketing techniques.

See the work

Texas Margarita Factory
Centro San Antonio
Manzanilla Sophia
Ballet San Antonio

Join The Tribe